Here is a question from one of our readers.
“Now show me where to sign up to get free hotel nights… If I don’t need the flyer miles.”
This friend is obviously a pilot as he can fly for free everywhere. Lucky for him he doesn’t have to search for ways to accumulate miles. The rest of us are out looking for both hotel points and miles so we can fly and stay for virtually free. Hotel points usually don’t come in huge bonuses, but they can accumulate much faster as they usually will give you 6-9 miles per dollar spent instead of getting 1 mile per dollar spent. Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood are three of the best hotel chains.
Hotel points can be spent in varying increments. More affordable hotels will offer you hotels for less points than a more expensive hotel might require. For example: You might only spend 7500 HHonors points for a Hampton Inn, where you might spend up to 50,000+ HHonors points for a Chateau. Everyone uses them differently, I personally don’t mind a more efficient use of my points by using the smaller hotels rather than the thrones.
Currently we have a couple of offers for credit cards that can offer you points for your hotel stays.
- Citi Hilton HHonors. This card will give you 40,000 HHonors points. Each hotel with Hilton requires a different number of points. If you stay at a Hampton Inn your points will last longer than if you stay at the Times Square Hilton (If there is one). This card has a spending requirement of $1000 in four months. No big deal. It has no annual fee.
- American Express HHilton. American Express has two different cards. One has an annual fee, but it will allow airport lounge access. This is a great perk. It also comes with status that can help you to receive free upgrades.
- Earn up to 25,000 Starpoints(R) — enough for up to 6 free nights at a category 1 or 2 hotel.Redeem Starpoints (R) for free nights at over 1,000 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries and for free flights on over 350 airlines – all with no blackout dates.
- No annual fee for the first year – then $65.
- Stay 2 nights and get the 3rd night free at participating Sheraton (R) Hotels and Resorts worldwide.
- Earn 4 to 5 Starpoints for every dollar you spend at Starwood Preferred Guest Hotels and Resorts.
- Smarter Travel Editor’s Choice Award for Best Travel Awards Card for Domestic Use.
Keep the questions coming. We are here to help. Your questions help all of our readers.